Cream of Zucchini Soup with Dill
This super easy creamy soup is a delicious way to eat abundant zucchini, even for those who don’t like it!
I’m a terrible food blogger. I made this soup a while ago but didn’t write down how much of what I used (because I was going to remember, ha!) and then we went on holiday…and now it’s past dill season. But it will be dill season again, and you’ll have pinned this recipe to try then, right?
My mother in law makes this soup fairly often in the summer. Every year she claims she’s not going to plant as much zuchinni as last year, and every year she does.
I love sauted zucchini, but my kids aren’t big fans of slices of zucchini. Slices in soup? Forget it. But they like zucchini as ‘noodles’ (like for Chicken Paprikas or Creamy (dairy free) Eggplant Chicken Sauce) or lasagne (like Zucchini Pizza Frittata) or grated.
And for this soup, the zucchini is grated. The creaminess makes it cozy, the dill gives it a fresh lift.
- 2 Tbsp butter (or other cooking fat)
- 1 med. onion
- 1 med zucchini (500g)
- salt, pepper
- 1½ cup whole milk
- scant 1 cup whipping cream
- handful fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp flour/arrowroot/cornstarch
- Melt butter in pot and saute chopped onions on low.
- When onions are translucent, add grated zucchini, salt and pepper, and saute 10 mins.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables and simmer for another 10 mins.
- Add milk and cream. Separate out any tough stalks from the dill and add chopped dill.
- When warmed, mix thickener of choice with cold milk or water and pour into the soup, continuously stirring.
- When thickened (but do not let it boil) (but of course, if it does that's ok), serve and enjoy!
Oct 07, 2015 @ 12:02:01
Can I just say that that zucchini in the photo looks ENORMOUS! It would certainly make a lot of this delicious sounding soup 🙂 This really does look cozy and fresh.
Oct 07, 2015 @ 13:12:01
Haha, this recipe is perfect for those too big zucchini because it’s grated so becomes soft. When feeding a big family, I make big pots of soup! Thanks 🙂