Fruit and Nut Cake Squares
I love discovering new food combinations with ingredients I already know. There are a few Slovak combinations I haven’t gotten used to, like French toast with ketchup or tartar sauce, or pasta with cocoa powder or jam.
These cakey squares, though, are perfect. It’s not the combination of apricot and walnut, or any fruit and nut mix, that is new, but the way of putting it together. My mother in law makes them, and I made a paleo adaptation, grain and gluten free.
I’m not sure how to describe them to you. The walnuts provide a pleasant nutty bite to the topping, without being crunchy. The apricot butter (or other fruit jam) ups the sweetness. The base is almost pastry like.
I ate a whole pan though. Just warning you.
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp ghee (butter or coconut oil may be used as well)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Fruit Layer
- 2/3 cups apricot butter or jam (or other thick fruit jam/puree/butter)
- Nut / Seed Topping
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup rapadura
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (or other nut or seed, preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Beat egg yolks until frothy, then add honey and ghee (or other fat).
- Stir baking soda into coconut flour, then stir into wet mixture.
- Add water, mix until combined.
- Grease and flour a 8×8 pan. Scatter the crust mixture throughout the pan by dolloping the mixture with a spoon, then use your hands to spread and press down the dough evenly.
- Spread the apricot butter across the dough.
- Grind walnuts to meal.
- Whip egg whites until stiff.
- Add rapadura and gently mix, then add walnut meal.
- Spread egg white mixture over the jam on the crust, bake for 20 min. or until darkish golden.
- Cool before cutting into squares and enjoy!
Originally shared at Whole New Mom.
May 06, 2014 @ 15:09:45
These look so delicious! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Mar 07, 2015 @ 07:51:22
What is rapadura?
Mar 07, 2015 @ 12:08:20
It’s dried cane juice, similar to Sucanat. It doesn’t have any crystals in it. Rapadura is a company name though, the same product could be other other names.